Thursday 8 March 2007

The squeamish should look away now...

My big toe got completely trashed back in November in a 50 mile race, I had already drilled a hole in the nail to let the blood under the nail out (and yes I did that my self), but now the nail was starting to come away from my toe.

There was 2 ways my big toe nail was going to come off,
Option 1. catch in a sock and rip it off
Option 2. have it removed by the jolly Mr Silver (the chiropodist)

Option 2 it is then, now I didn’t look when he removed it but it did involved a big pair of cutters, and one of those dremel hand sanders!!! But the whole procedure was virtually pain free (thankfully).


More importantly i was able to run the next day without any pain or discomfort.

Now the biology lesson, your nails are effectively just hardened skin (not hair), nail growth is a 2 way thing, the nails grow in length (as you would expect) but also in depth, so even though had 80% of the nail removed underneath there was already a thin toenail forming.


No comments: